About Universal Records

My photo
Quezon City, Philippines
Universal Records is the NUMBER ONE independent record label in the Philippines. Bringing you quality music for the past 30 years, we are home to artists like: Jose Mari Chan, Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcasid, Regine Velasquez, Lani Misalucha, Jed Madela, Christian Bautista, Jay R, Billy Crawford, Kris Aquino, Edu Manzano, Marian Rivera, Mark Herras, Nina, Ronnie Liang, Gail Blanco, Sam Concepcion. Our band roster includes: Parokya Ni Edgar, Kamikazee, Sponge Cola, Imago, Silent Sanctuary, Kenyo, Paraluman. We are equally committed to bring you exciting international releases covering various genres like pop, jazz, new age, classical, alternative, indie pop, rock, electronica, dance, r&b, and hip-hop. Name it, we definitely have it!

July 16, 2010

A More Mature Christian

Written by Ricky L. Calderon (The Freeman)
Source:  http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=593160&publicationSubCategoryId=51

A lot of people are now looking at Christian Bautista “differently” after seeing his billboard for Bench. This is apart from his much-talked about appearance at the Bench Uncut Fashion Show held last July 2 at the Araneta Coliseum. The singer is now sporting a new look and an edgier style—in other words, a more mature Christian for his fans.

We sat down with Christian one Tuesday afternoon for an exclusive interview and here are excerpts from that encounter with the popular balladeer who is endorsing Blackwater Perfume from the Ever Bilena Line of products.

Q: So what do you think of the people’s reaction to your billboard and Bench Uncut Fashion Show appearance?

A: “Iba’t-iba ang reaction. May mga nagulat. Mayroon naman nagustuhan nila. May mga nagsabi naman na hindi kailangan. Ako naman, first and foremost what I’ve learned through these years, talagang bawat tao may iba’t-ibang opinion tapos eh. I just receive the comments and whatever is constructive, I apply it to myself. If there are negative comments, wala na akong magagawa. I am proud sa achievement na ito. I have more respect now for models and talagang naranasan ko kasi kung gaano sila magtrabaho. Some people think they are just models but what they don’t know is that they are strict with their diets. That’s their life – their body. Dapat pagandahin mo iyon. I went through with that to get the body that I have now.

Q: How long have you been working out?

A: Siguro, seriously, less than a year. Dati workout-workout pero wala lang. Ngayon may trainer na ako, may supplements at may instructions. Nakita naman ang result.

Q: Is this part of your reinvention?

A: Yes, it is and there’s more to come. I mean, through the help of my manager Carlo (Orosa) and Ms. Kathleen Go of Universal Records, we are doing many changes, not only in the way I look but also in my wardrobe as well. They are really taking care of my body, dressing me up well, getting me the right haircut and the right look. I’ve been partners with Gold’s Gym for sometime now and that is where I work out. I am one of their endorsers and I must say maraming naitulong sa akin ang Gold’s Gym.

Q: Does this mean that you are now more open to doing challenging roles—something sexy perhaps?

A: Well, I have to study the script first before I would accept it.

Q: You are now one of the officers of the revived OPM (Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit). Why did you join and what are your plans?

A: The officers met kanina (Ogie Alcasid, Joe Mari Chan, Gary Valenciano, Noel Cabangon, and Dingdong Avanzado) and we were discussing the future of OPM. What made me decide to be a part of it? Well, to be the channel to the younger generation. Kasi yung iba nahihiya i-approach sina Sir Gary minsan, Sir Joey or Sir Ogie. I can be that link to them. That would be my role. We had this vision when we joined the Kaya Natin ‘To concert which we did for Ondoy. We realized na dapat mas dumami pa kaming members ng OPM para makatulong sa mga singers, the country and the music industry.

Q: What is your initial plan?

A: Well, to be recognized. Inform the singers that OPM has been revived and that the OPM can protect and serve them, give them benefits and help them. There would be other plans but for now that is the focus. We are getting and accepting members and making them aware of our rights as singers.

Q: You’ve been getting the no. 1 slot in trending topics on Twitter. How do you feel about this?

A: Thanks to Indonesia. I got into the trending topics because nakasali ako sa isang high-rating show doon sa Indonesia. Pag-uusapan ka talaga ng Twitter community of [Indonesia] at sobrang dami nila. It’s a big thing that people from other parts of the world get to know you. I realized the power of Twitter just recently. So I encouraged everyone to follow me at xtianbautista.

Q: What was your reaction on Josh Groban’s tweet?

A: I was surprised. It was so hard to get a reply from anyone like for me from my fans. Let’s say I have 100,000 followers. How can I reply to all of them? That’s impossible. The only thing that would appear in your stream would be only 10 tweets. You can’t scan everything. It was probably a good chance, a coincidence, that Josh Groban saw my tweet that I sang his song at the inauguration. Thanks also to the followers who re-tweeted that.

Q: How is your album “Romance Revisited: The Music of Jose Mari Chan” doing?

A: It’s nearing Triple Platinum now. We are on our fourth single titled “Afraid for Love to Fade.” We did a music video with Carmen Soo, which is getting good exposure in MYX and other music channels. We are very happy with the success of the album. Even Sir Joe Mari Chan is very happy with it.

Q: You’ve always been a balladeer. Don’t you wish to sing other types of songs?

A: Actually now I do. I do want to try many things this year. I want to focus on acting, different kinds of music—more upbeat. I am not saying that’s going to be my direction, but mas kakanta lang ako ng more variety of songs. Ballads would always be my strength, but I will try other songs so I won’t be stuck at ballads. That would make my music more varied and interesting.

Q: When is your next major concert?

A: I do want to have a major concert but let’s face it, times are hard. There are many things to consider – the right time, the right venue, plus there are foreign acts. Do we have sponsors? Do the people have money to buy tickets? Are you popular on TV, radio? Once we’ve solved all these major concerns then that’s the time for us to say that I can have a major concert. Hopefully, if we have a new teleserye with a good following, good radio play, popular music video, then we can have a successful concert, unless you are a Martin Nievera or a Gary Valenciano, or a Sarah Geronimo na sure success pag nag-concert. It’s also a challenge for me to improve myself, improve my performance sa concert. And I have to learn dancing.

No comments: