About Universal Records
- Universal Records
- Quezon City, Philippines
- Universal Records is the NUMBER ONE independent record label in the Philippines. Bringing you quality music for the past 30 years, we are home to artists like: Jose Mari Chan, Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcasid, Regine Velasquez, Lani Misalucha, Jed Madela, Christian Bautista, Jay R, Billy Crawford, Kris Aquino, Edu Manzano, Marian Rivera, Mark Herras, Nina, Ronnie Liang, Gail Blanco, Sam Concepcion. Our band roster includes: Parokya Ni Edgar, Kamikazee, Sponge Cola, Imago, Silent Sanctuary, Kenyo, Paraluman. We are equally committed to bring you exciting international releases covering various genres like pop, jazz, new age, classical, alternative, indie pop, rock, electronica, dance, r&b, and hip-hop. Name it, we definitely have it!
September 11, 2009
The nine girls who always shine the brightest together. With each member possessing distinctive personalities and different talents in the field of singing, dancing, acting, modeling, and so forth, 소녀시대 (Girls' Generation, So Nyuh Shi Dae) have proved that sometimes strength does lie in numbers. Even though the girls do well individually, there's an indescribable feeling when all 9 are on stage or on shows together because of their family-like bond.
Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona, and Seohyun are the nine beautiful girls that make up SM Entertainment's talented, Girls' Generation. The group was creating buzz all around the internet even before debut and all had their own prior-to-debut experience with the the entertainment industry. It wasn't until they debuted on Aug 5, 2007, on SBS Inkigayo with their debut single 'Into the New World (다시 만난 세계)' (single release was Aug 2) that the girls were able to perform on stage together as one. Leading up to their debut, MNet cameras followed them around on their very own documentary 'Girls Go to School', where fans were able to see them prepare for their debut and see how much dedication and time they put into the song that they spent 1 year practising to debut with. Initially, ITNW received mixed reviews and plenty of criticism for the girls' singing and dancing. Taeyeon, as the group leader, addressed them and said that constructive criticism was the only way for them to improve, so she was thankful for them. The single went on to sell almost 60,000 copies, proving that they were a marketable group.
During the same time period, SM Entertainment was promoting the group as a fresh and new talented girl group, with each member having her own special talents and personalities. Also the promotion of the girls and their varying knowledge of different languages was also another topic of discussion. They continued to promote their personalities and song through music and variety shows. After promoting the single for a couple of months the girls took a short break.
They returned shortly on Nov 1, 2007 with their debut self-titled first album, Girls' Generation (소녀시대). The title track from the single was a remake of the classic hit song with the same title by Lee Seungchul. He praised the girls and said that he supported their rendition of the song with great enthusiasm. The highlight of the song and music video was their cute doll-like nature and the "Angtal Dance". The song was very well-received by the general Korean public because of how they managed to modernize an old classic. Both the song and album were a complete hit. Within a few months, the album was listed as the 12th best-selling album of 2007. By 2008, the girls broke records by selling over 120,000 copies of the album, and being the first pop girl group since S.E.S in 2002 to do so.
However the success of 'Girls' Generation' paled in comparison to the booming amount of attention and adoration that 'Kissing You' received. By the end of their 'Kissing You' promotion period, they were able to grab the No. 1 spot from the three big broadcasting stations, SBS Inkigayo, KBS Music Bank, and MNet M!Countdown. The girls were able to show admirable live performances during this time and it was obvious that they were working hard on improving as a group.
They were able to show an adorable side to them with this lollipop single. In March the same year, SM decided to promote yet another track from their first album, 'Baby Baby'. Although the song wasn't as well received as 'Kissing You', it still managed to win MNet M!Countdown, and once again the girls broke a record by being the first female artistes to have 3 No. 1 songs from the same album. The rest of 2008 was dedicated to the girls showing the Korean music industry their own individual strengths. Jessica, Tiffany, and Seohyun received a lot of attention for their digital single from Roommate, 'Oppa Nappa'. Yoona won multiple awards for her first leading role in the KBS daily drama 'You Are My Destiny'. Sooyoung filmed her first movie. Taeyeon became the queen of soundtracks with 'If' and 'Can You Hear Me'. Although the members were on a promotional break (with SNSD) and all doing their own little thing, their bond and family-like mentality through their group CFs. With talks of their comeback constantly being pushed back, good news still came out in 2008, as SNSD's official fanclub was announced. Their fanclub name S♥NE (소원), literally means Wish in Korean, but SM released that the S represented SNSD and the ♥NE part is supposed to be ONE but with a heart to represent that SNSD and their fans will always be one.
Leading up to their official comeback, they then filmed yet another documentary with MNet, one that put them in the new roles as fashion editors for Elle Magazine, in 'Factory Girl'. The show was a hit in ratings for the cable company and showed that the public was waiting for the girls and their new album.
The wait was over on Jan 5, 2009, and 'Gee' was released in its digital form. Within the same day it was ranked No. 1 on Cyworld. Then it went on to top all of the major online sites. This was a big accomplishment for the girls because although their album sales were solid, the girls had been unable to do well on digital downloads. Their mini-album 'Gee' is predicted to be the first album in 2009 to sell over 100,000 copies. The girls came back and were stronger than ever. They broke records left and right with this new single and were requested by many variety shows to come on and promote it. Their MV became GOMTv's first ever Diamond track with over 5 million views since its release and holds the record for most-viewed video on the portal site. During the first week of release, they were No. 1 on Music Bank but weren't able to attend to receive their award. Last weekend they ended up snagging their 7th consecutive win on the show, tying with Jewelry's 'One More Time' for the record on the show. 'Gee' now holds the record for longest No. 1 song on the MNet Music portal site. During the break, the girls had said that their relationship with each other grew wonders as they were able to find out about their backgrounds, where they came from, and where they are today. They attributed a lot of their improvement in every aspect of a group to the fact that they were now so much closer together. Their popularity has sky-rocketed thanks to the immense success of 'Gee', both in the domestic and international markets.
01. Song of the Month for the month of August 2007 from Cyworld "Into the New World"wn for "Into the New World" on October 11th, 2007
04. SBS Inkigayo Mutizen Award for "Girls' Generation" November 25th, 2007
05. SBS Inkigayo Mutizen Award for "Girls' Generation" on December 2nd, 2007
06. #1 on M!Countdown for "Girls' Generation" on December 6th, 2007
07. 2007 M.NET Golden Disk Awards: Anycall Popularity Award on December 13th, 2007
08. 2007 M.NET Golden Disk Awards: Anycall Newbie Award on December 13th, 2007
09. 17th Seoul Gayo Awards: High1 Music Award on January 31st, 2008
10. 17th Seoul Gayo Awards: Best New Artist Award on January 31st, 2008
11. SBS Inkigayo Mutizen Award for "Kissing You" on February 3rd, 2008
12. #1 on M!Countdown for "Kissing You" on February 14th, 2008
13. SBS Inkigayo Mutizen Award for "Kissing You" on February 17th, 2008
14. #1 on M!Countdown for "Kissing You" on February 28th, 2008
15. #1 on Music Bank for "Kissing You" February 29th, 2008
16. Song of the Month for the month of February 2008 from Cyworld "Taeyeon - IF"
17. #1 on M!Countdown for "Baby Baby" on April 10th, 2008
18. MNet 20's Choice: Hot Sweet Music award "Kissing You" on August 23rd, 2008
19. MNet 20's Choice: Hot DJ "Taeyeon" on August 23rd, 2008
20. Korean Drama Festival 2008: Netizen Popularity Award "Yoona - You Are My Destiny" on November 1st, 2008
21. 15th Annual Korean Entertainment Awards: Best Female Group
22. 2008 M.NET Golden Disk Awards: Yepp Popularity Award "Taeyeon - Can You Hear Me" on December 10th, 2008
23. KBS Drama Awards: Best New Actress "Yoona - You Are My Destiny" on December 31st, 2008
24. KBS Drama Awards: Netizen Popularity Award "Yoona - You Are My Destiny" on December 31st, 2008
25. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on January 16th, 2009
26. SBS Inkigayo Mutizen Award for "Gee" on January 18th, 2009
27. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on January 23rd, 2009
28. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on January 30th, 2009
29. Song of the Month for the month of January 2009 from Cyworld "Gee" on Feburary 1st, 2009
31. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on Feburary 6th, 2009
32. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on Feburary 13th, 2009
33. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on Feburary 20th, 2009
34. #1 on Music Bank for "Gee" on Feburary 27th, 2009
35. 45th Annual Baeksang Awards: Netizen Popularity Award "Yoona - You Are My Destiny" on February 27th, 2008
35. 45th Annual Baeksang Awards: Best New Actress Award "Yoona - You Are My Destiny" on February 27th, 2008
Posted at 14:48