Last June 16, 2010, members of the Organisasyon Ng Pilipinong Mangaawit (OPM) selected the Board of Directors who will lead their group for the next two years.
The election took place at the Annabels Restaurant in Tomas Morato, Quezon City. There were 8 nominees but only 6 slots were to be chosen that night. The ballots were cast and the winners were announced individually by Ms. Leah Navarro. The Board of Directors of OPM for the next two years are Christian Bautista, Gary Valenciano, Jose Mari Chan, Dingdong Avanzado, Noel Cabangon and Ogie Alcasid.
At around 8 p.m. dinner started, followed by a brief presentation on the history and current state of OPM, followed by the election proceedings.
Aside from the present officers and staff of OPM, other celebrity members present were Sam Concepcion, Joanna Ampil, Leo Valdez, Carlo Orosa , Jed Madela, Luke Mejares, Chris Kaiser, Cheska Ortega, Aria Clemente, Dulce, Agot Isidro, Pinky Marquez, Leah Navarro, Freddie Santos, Angeli Valenciano, Girlie Rodis, Carlo Bulahan, Ito Rapadas, George Javier, Victoria Agbayani & Yael Yuzon.
Single handedly headed by veteran entertainer Mitch Valdez for more than 10 years, OPM was established 24 years ago by well-known singers in the '80's, among them Celeste Legaspi, Mitch Valdez, Subas Herrero and the APO Hiking Society composed of Jim Paredes, Buboy Garovillo, & Danny Javier.
OPM is the leading and most respected organization of Filipino professional singers in the country. It is a non-stock, non-profit corporation duly registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Its mission is to carry on the task of working for the Filipino singers' advancement through:
1. Advocating policies for the growth of music industry.
2. Ensuring that policies are correctly implemented.
3. Ensuring that members are adequately supported through legal assistance and professional enhancement.
4. Continuing promotion for the Filipinos' patronage of local singers and original Pilipino musical compositions
5. Continuing promotion for the recognition of the Filipino singer and song in the international arena.
Newly elected leaders Christian, Gary, Jose Mari, Noel, Dingdong and Ogie will convene next week to revisit the laws, current state and structure of OPM and map out a plan for the coming years, to revive and unify the spirit of the music industry that is OPM. One of the founding members, talent manager Girlie Rodis, points out that "outgoing President Mitch Valdez, automatically becomes Chairman of the Board for the next 2 years."
Direct link to PEP.ph's article:
About Universal Records
- Universal Records
- Quezon City, Philippines
- Universal Records is the NUMBER ONE independent record label in the Philippines. Bringing you quality music for the past 30 years, we are home to artists like: Jose Mari Chan, Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcasid, Regine Velasquez, Lani Misalucha, Jed Madela, Christian Bautista, Jay R, Billy Crawford, Kris Aquino, Edu Manzano, Marian Rivera, Mark Herras, Nina, Ronnie Liang, Gail Blanco, Sam Concepcion. Our band roster includes: Parokya Ni Edgar, Kamikazee, Sponge Cola, Imago, Silent Sanctuary, Kenyo, Paraluman. We are equally committed to bring you exciting international releases covering various genres like pop, jazz, new age, classical, alternative, indie pop, rock, electronica, dance, r&b, and hip-hop. Name it, we definitely have it!