FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo (The Philippine Star)
Updated August 07, 2009
As they would say, mag-kakaalaman na.
Isn’t it high time we knew who really rules the concert scene, who performs better, who can shake the crowd to boiling point, who deserves to be ranked No. 1?
Martin Nievera or Gary Valenciano?
The big showdown, titled As 1, is scheduled, rain or shine, on Sept. 19 (a Saturday), starting at 8 p.m. at the SM Mall of Asia Open Grounds.
No billing problems? Whose name should come first in the ads? Who gets a bigger talent fee?
The two considerable icons have guested in each other’s shows both here and abroad but it’s the first time they have agreed to do a concert together. Well and good. If not now, when? Kapag uugod-ugod na sila? You wouldn’t want your idols performing attached to, hmmmm, wheelchairs, do you?
I gathered a few comparison points between Martin and Gary V. (that kind of billing will have to suffice for now, but only in this corner) from people who have watched the two in their (solo) concerts, to wit:
• Martin is the better singer and Gary V. is the better dancer;
• Martin is an original while Gary V. is a Michael Jackson “clone” (something he has never outgrown and which he should bury...in MJ’s Neverland?);
• Martin is the total performer while Gary V. is Mr. Pure Energy; and
• Martin can entertain the audience not just with his singing but also with his gift of gab and comedic flair; while Gary V. spices up his singing with “body language” and a sprinkling of “religious” music.
Actually, I have a choice of who The One is but I’d rather keep it to myself. You, too, right?
(Note: Martin Nievera and Gary Valenciano’s As 1 concert on Sept. 19 at the SM Mall of Asia Open Grounds is a production of Star Media Entertainment, Big Mouth Productions International and Management, Genesis Entertainment & Management, Inc. Avail of an early-bird promo and get 20 percent off in ticket prices. For details, check out the official concert posters or call Ticketnet at 911-5555 or Ticketworld at 891-9999.)
Here's the link to the article:
About Universal Records
- Universal Records
- Quezon City, Philippines
- Universal Records is the NUMBER ONE independent record label in the Philippines. Bringing you quality music for the past 30 years, we are home to artists like: Jose Mari Chan, Gary Valenciano, Ogie Alcasid, Regine Velasquez, Lani Misalucha, Jed Madela, Christian Bautista, Jay R, Billy Crawford, Kris Aquino, Edu Manzano, Marian Rivera, Mark Herras, Nina, Ronnie Liang, Gail Blanco, Sam Concepcion. Our band roster includes: Parokya Ni Edgar, Kamikazee, Sponge Cola, Imago, Silent Sanctuary, Kenyo, Paraluman. We are equally committed to bring you exciting international releases covering various genres like pop, jazz, new age, classical, alternative, indie pop, rock, electronica, dance, r&b, and hip-hop. Name it, we definitely have it!